The Allure of Starbucks

So what is the allure of Starbucks anyway? It's a legit question.

Back when I lived in the Heights there were a few different locations on my way to work. I managed to get myself into a terrible habit of stopping for a latte and inevitably a scone at least once a week. That stuff adds up, calorically as well as financially. So I put the brakes on stopping and eventually weaned myself off. Special occasions only.

Now that I'm retired and there isn't a Starbucks anywhere close by or on my way to somewhere, I hardly ever visit. Until this week. This week I took Reggie to the vet and there is a Starbucks not far from there. So Reggie and I went after his doctor visit and shots. I got a soy pumpkin spice latte, no whipped cream and a pumpkin cream cheese muffin. It was delicious.  Reggie got a pupacino, which he thoroughly enjoyed. 

The damage was $8.50 and 650 calories. Ouch.  Of course I just figured that out sitting at yet another Starbucks waiting for Reggie to be finished with his spa appointment. After I consumed the exact same order. Twice, a couple of days apart. Even though it tasted good, it kind of makes me feel bad.

So, the whole point of this post wasn't supposed to be about the caloric and financial aspect of Starbucks but more about the allure. I've been sitting here for about an hour, ostensibly reading a book. But I'm so distracted by the constant stream of people coming and going.

Earlier there was work crowd grabbing their coffee on the way to work. Running into other people they knew grabbing their coffee on the way to work. Now as the work crowd has died down the place is filled with the mom crowd dressed in there barre clothes. I can't decide if they're coming from or going to the barre class, but either way they are here. There are also the stay-at-home moms with their kids that are too young for school here grabbing a latte for themselves and a some sort of fancy juice drink for their kids. Starting that Starbucks habit early!

So I don't know what the allure is, for me it's that I like the flavor of a pumpkin spice latte.  I just have to make sure it's only occasionally.

For a lot of these people I think it's a social, see-and-be-seen type of situation in addition to grabbing their coffee.

I guess it doesn't really matter just an observation. As always thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts