The Glass Bubble Project

My son and his wife (aka Jack and Sarah) gifted me with an introductory glass blowing class for hubby and I as a retirement gift. On Wednesday of this week, we took the class, held at The Glass Bubble Project in Ohio City.

It was fun - Adam was a great instructor who really helped us enjoy our time there. It was also hot - as in glass melting furnace hot - 2,100 degrees.

And, it was hard. I mean I didn't think it would be easy but it was harder than I thought it would be.

Adam would first show us the technique while demonstrating how to do it. Then it was our turn. As part of the introductory package we each got to make 1 solid piece and 2 blown pieces.

First step is to stick a rod in the 2,100 degree oven filled with molten glass and "gather" it up onto the rod. I must admit I was a bit intimidated by the heat roaring out of there so both Adam and Steve helped me with my gathering.



Next step was to add color by dipping the hot molten glass into the bowls of colored pieces of glass.

After the color is applied, the next step is to insert the rod into the "glory hole" to melt the colors together. This is another area where I didn't exactly excel. It was very important not to waver and hit the top, bottom or sides while holding and simultaneously spinning the rod.  I couldn't seem to keep it steady enough. Again, the roaring heat intimidated me.



Then you repeat the gather, and the glory hole a few times making the piece larger as you go.  When the size is where you want it you use various tools to block and shape.



You continue this heating, blocking, shaping, swinging and other techniques until the piece appears complete. If you are doing a blown piece you also add blowing into the mix of actions.






At that point you remove it from the rod by tapping the metal part of the rod with a metal tool. (Full disclosure: I broke my first blown piece at this point by "gorilla tapping." Louise will know what I mean.) if you do it correctly, the glass just separates from the rod like magic into the cooling area, where it is cured for 48 to 72 hours.

I picked up our finished pieces today and I have to admit, I was totally impressed by how well they turned out.

Steve's Major Award

Joanna - candy dish

Joanna - paper weight

Steve - large and small tumbler

Joanna - Dip bowl

Joanna - part 2 of the paperweight

So there you have it! Another thing to do when you have nothing to do! Would I do it again? Absolutely. Am I ready to solo? Absolutely not!

As always, thanks for reading along.




Comments

Popular Posts