She Sells Sea Shells

I am fairly certain that the first time I ever saw a seashell I was in the 5th grade, so about 10 or 11.  My class went on field trip to the Campus Martius Museum in Marietta, Ohio and as my souvenir (we each were allowed to bring $5 to purchase something) I bought a shadow box of about 15 or 16 shells with their respective names and I was hooked. Now, don't ask me why there was a shadow box of sea shells for sale in a museum dedicated to Ohio history - I have no clue. The funny thing is I still remember some of the shells' names (Scotch Bonnet and Olive come to mind) but not too terribly much else about that trip.

My hubby and I are currently hanging out in Florida on a cool little island called Anna Maria Island. We were lucky enough to be here the night of the super snow moon and the shelling the next few days was amazing! We have found intact conch shells, sea urchins,

Sea Urchins

whelks, sponges, and some of the above mentioned olives, plus a lot more. 

Most people look for unbroken shells to add to their collections, but being the bit of a weirdo that I am, I don't leave the broken ones on the sand. Especially not the broken whelks

Broken Whelk

and conch shells. Something about seeing the delicate inner structures fascinates me. Looking at the amazing design of a broken conch or whelk confirms my belief in God. How could there be any other explanation for these creatures than an all being power that created them? Don't worry, no more God talk coming, but still ...

On the flip side of beautiful are the shells covered with barnacles.

Scallop covered in barnacles

They can be pretty enough and you pick it up and it's covered with the parasites of the sea. Hanging on for a free meal. Sometimes people can be like barnacles too but hopefully none of your friends!

Following are some photos I just took sitting on my deck of my finds. I'm watching the the aquamarine waves lap the unbelievably soft white sand and telling my self how lucky I am.


Which coincidentally is a logo here #howluckyami Anna Maria Island. Someone got that right!

Calico Scallop Shells

Coquina Shells

Fighting Conch Shells

Mystery shell

Florida Rock Shell

Large Heart Cockle Shell

Lettered Olive Shell

Pen Shell

Spiny Jewel Box Shells
As always, thanks for reading along,





Comments

Popular Posts