Redo the kitchen, they said. It will be fun, they said.

When we moved into our condo by the lake three years ago, we thought it was perfect. It was a great location literally 150 of my footsteps to the beach. It was nicely decorated and it was very well maintained. 

Sometime between now (3.5 years later) and then, we have come up with a list of things that we need to update. And number one on that list was the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing really wrong with the kitchen except it was dated. Oak cabinets, white appliances and worst of all - navy blue counters.  Lord, I hate those counters.

Fast forward to the week after Christmas. New appliances were arriving, as were the new cabinets. So I started by emptying the contents of the old frig into coolers and boxes. Frig arrives, gets installed and I move all the stuff from the coolers and boxes into the new frig. 

Then came the great cabinet emptying. I cannot understand for the life of me how a relatively smallish kitchen with a limited amount of cabinetry can accumulate so much stuff in the span of 3.5 years. We now have stuff piled everywhere. We have boxes and Rubbermaid tubs and reusable shopping bags and trash bags filled with stuff all over the first floor and into the basement.



 Meanwhile, the garage is full of the new cabinets that have arrived.


Here's the kitchen with all the cabinets gone. And, yes that is the new refrigerator.


So now we are into the cabinet installation phase. Because this is a relatively open floor plan and the living room is right off the kitchen I can hear all that is going on. There's a lot of under the breath mumbling about the size of stuff, Whether it's 5/8 inch too short or 1/2 too wide. Then there are the comments about the floor not being level and the walls not being square and I try to tune out. And now I just overheard that we are missing at least one drawer! I just hope and pray when I see the finished project I won't be able to tell where all these near misses were.

So that's what's going on in my world today. I'll let you know how the whole thing turns out

Thanks for reading.



Comments

Popular Posts